Daring to Wear Colour: Why I’m Sewing a Red Dress


Hello,

At the moment, I’m sewing a red dress.

This choice may seem simple, almost insignificant. Yet the further I progress with this project, the more I realise that colour is never neutral. It tells a story. It attracts attention, asserts a presence and creates a mood. In a world where many people tend to choose understated clothing in black, beige or grey, choosing a vivid colour becomes almost an act of reflection.

There is also denim blue and white, which have become timeless classics in our wardrobes. But beyond these few colours, there is often very little choice left. It is as if our relationship with clothing has gradually narrowed to a palette that feels reassuring, but limited.

I often observe that most of the clothes we wear today are discreet, easy to combine and reassuring. Black goes with everything, beige is considered elegant, and grey seems practical. These choices have their reasons, of course. But I often wonder: by constantly looking for simplicity, have we forgotten the joy, boldness and self-expression that colour can bring?

Or are these choices shaped by the trends we feel compelled to follow?

For me, sewing a red dress is therefore more than just a sewing project. It is a way of putting colour back at the centre. Red attracts attention, makes a statement and brings warmth. It can evoke strength, passion and confidence, but also vitality and energy. It does not leave us indifferent.

And perhaps that is precisely what interests me. A garment is not only something we wear to cover or protect our bodies. It can also express something about us, our state of mind and our desire to take up space fully.

I believe that we have sometimes been taught to be wary of colour, as though it were too noticeable, too expressive or too risky. Yet wearing colour is also a personal choice. It means deciding not to disappear into neutrality. It means accepting that a garment can be lively, joyful and unapologetic.

With this red dress, I would like to invite everyone to reflect:

Why do we choose one colour rather than another?

Is it out of habit, for comfort or because we are afraid of other people’s opinions?

Or is it a conscious choice that truly reflects what we want to express?

The colours we wear influence the way we feel, but also the way we inhabit the space around us. They can soften, energise, warm or brighten. They can also become a form of silent language.

So yes, I am sewing a red dress.

And behind this simple act, there may be a broader question:

What if we gave colour the place it deserves in our lives?




Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

About me

Comfort Reimagined: Warmth, Softness, and Puff Sleeves

Sewing My Winter Test Dress: Exploring the Fit, Fabric, and Finishing Touches